1kg small to medium radishes and beetroots
extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup toasted pepitas
1 teaspoon lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon juice
1 small clove garlic, smashed and minced
1 cup mint and coriander or parsley and basil or carrot tops or beetroot tops
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Immerse roots in water and shake to remove sand. Rinse well and pat dry.
- Cut the greens from the roots, leaving a 1/2-inch sprig of greens on the radishes and turnips. Set greens aside. Halve radishes and turnips (quarter larger ones). Arrange radishes and turnips on a baking sheet (or 2), and just drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, chop 3 bunches of the greens – enough to make 1 loosely packed cup. Place greens in the bowl of a food processor and add 5 tablespoons olive oil, a pinch of sea salt, lemon zest and juice, and toasted pepitas. Pulse to combine. Aim for a smooth mixture with a bit of texture. Adjust salt or lemon as needed.
- Spoon pesto into a wide bowl and surround it with roasted radishes and salad turnips. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately.