1 cup red lentils
½ cup brown rice
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth or water
1 cup full fat coconut milk
1 medium brown onion, finely diced
1 tbsp turmeric powder (or 2 medium turmeric roots, peeled and grated)
3-4 cardamom pods
1 inch ginger knob, peeled and grated
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp caraway seeds
½ tsp ground coriander seeds
½ tsp cinnamon powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup coconut yogurt or plain natural yoghurt
1 cup fresh spinach leaves or young tuscan kale or rocket
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
½ tbsp virgin coconut oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Coconut flakes, nigella seeds, fresh parsley leaves, to garnish
- In a medium pot heat the coconut oil, add the onion and cook for three minutes over low heat, stirring frequently, until translucent.
- Add garlic, spices, lentils and rice, mix to combine and cook for two minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the vegetable broth, bring to boil then simmer for 15 minutes, until the brown rice and lentils are cooked.
- Add the coconut milk and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the spinach leaves, mix to incorporate, then turn off the heat.
- Divide into serving bowls, top with coconut yogurt, garnish with coconut flakes, nigella seeds and fresh parsley, and serve warm.