The key is to be patient with the roasting. Let the vegetables cook until the liquids reduce, and the mixture becomes thick and stewy.2 eggplant chopped into 2cm pieces
6 tomatoes, chopped into 2cm pieces
2 zucchini chopped into 2cm pieces
2 capsicum seeded and coarsely chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 shallot thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (preferably white)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
sea salt + black pepper
1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil and/or parsley
250gm penne or gemelli pasta (something firm)
grated parmesan cheese to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200° C.
- In a large roasting pan combine the tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, capsicums, onion, shallot, and garlic and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, thyme, and 2 teaspoons salt. Pour over the vegetables. Toss to coat. Season with pepper.
- Bake for 50 minutes, turning halfway through until the vegetables are all very tender and the released juices are beginning to thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning with more salt and pepper as desired. Stir in basil.
- Meanwhile cook pasta. Transfer drained pasta to a large bowl. Add ratatouille and fold. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add parmesan. Serve immediately with more fresh pepper on the side.