4-8 small eggplants (any variety will work as long as they’re small-ish) sliced in half lengthwise
4 tablespoons olive oil (more or less depending on the size of your eggplants)
2 tablespoons za’atar + additional to taste as needed
1/2 cup parsley and mint, finely chopped
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 cup full fat plain yoghurt (sheep, goat or cow)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
small pinch of sumac
- Oil the grates of your grill (pan or oven grill) and heat it to medium high.
- Toss the sliced eggplant with the salt and oil. Place the eggplant cut side down on the preheated grill and cook until lightly charred on the underside, about 10-12 minutes. Flip the eggplant and continue to cook until the skin is blackened and the flesh seems soft, about 10 minutes longer.
- Remove the eggplant from the grilled and toss it with the za’atar, parsley, and toasted pine nuts.
- Whisk all the ingredients for the yogurt sauce together. Taste test and adjust flavors as needed.
- Serve the grilled eggplant and yogurt sauce on a platter at warm or at room temperature