2 medium aubergines
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons tahini pasteJ
juice of half a lemon
Pinch of salt
Olive oil and pomegranate seeds to serve
- Burn the aubergines using a gas cooker. Sit the aubergines on top of a low-medium flame, turning often. Cook until they are practically caving in on themselves. If you don't have a gas hob, prick and bake the aubergines whole in an oven set to 180°c (160°c FAN) for 30-40 minutes.
- Leave the cooked aubergines to cool slightly before peeling away the skin. Place the flesh into a fine mesh sieve and leave to slowly drain for 20 minutes.
- After draining, break the flesh up gently with a fork - I like to keep mine quite chunky but you can mash it up as much or as little as you like.
- Stir in the minced garlic, tahini and salt. Add the lemon juice and taste - adjust with more tahini/lemon/salt as needed.
- Serve with olive oil and pomegranate seeds.
Source: Thyme & Honey