For the salad
1/2 cup beluga lentils
1/2 cup black quinoa
1 1/2 cup water
1 large handful fresh cilantro, chopped
1 large handful fresh parsley, chopped
1 small handful fresh mint, chopped
2 handfuls baby leafy greens, optional
2 tbsp lightly toasted sesame seeds
1/4 tsp chili flakes
- Bring water to a boil then add quinoa and lentils. Cook covered on low heat for 20 minutes.
- While quinoa and lentils cook, make the tangy fennel (recipe + instructions below)
- Add apple cider vinegar, salt, shawarma spice mix, sesame seed oil and 1 minced clove of garlic into the pot of cooked lentil & quinoa. Mix well with a big fork and put the lid back on.
- In a large bowl, add chopped herbs, baby leafy greens and shawarma marinated black lentils and quinoa. Toss to combine. Add tangy fennel and top with lightly toasted sesame seeds, a sprinkle of chili flakes and some fresh mint leaves.
- Slice fennel really thinly, preferably using a mandolin slicer. Add to a bowl along with the lemon and apple cider vinegar. Combine well and let marinate until the salad is completely done. Add the fennel.
*Shawarma spice mix is from Lebanese food shops. You can make your own by combining 2 tsp each ground cumin, allspice and sweet paprika, 1 tsp each dried oregano, ground cloves, ground ginger and salt, ½ tsp each ground turmeric, ground cinnamon and ground cardamom, and ¼ tsp black pepper. Store in an airtight jar in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months. Makes ¼ cup.