Makes about 20 balls
For the Pistachio Yoghurt1/2 cup shelled pistachios (roasted, unsalted)
1/2 cup water
3/4 teaspoon seasalt
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Juice of 1 lime
For the Split Pea “Meatballs”
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup yellow split peas
2 cups water
1/4 cup basmati rice
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon sumac
1 teaspoon salt
Juice of 2 limes
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh coriander leaves, plus extra for garnish
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Add the pistachios and water to a blender, and blend until the pistachios are finely ground. Scrape down the sides of the blender with a rubber spatula as necessary. Add the salt, cumin, lime juice, chili powder, and yogurt. Puree to combine. Taste the yogurt sauce, and adjust the flavor as you see fit. Set the yogurt sauce aside. Please note that it can be made a day or two ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator.
- Set a medium skillet over medium heat, and add enough olive oil to barely cover the bottom of the skillet. When the oil is hot, add the onion. Stir the onion regularly until it begins to soften. Add the garlic and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the garlic and onion begin to caramelize. Remove the skillet from the heat and set it aside.
- While the onion and garlic are cooking, you can add the yellow split peas and water to a medium pot. Set the pot over high heat. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat so that the split peas are simmering gently. Simmer the split peas uncovered for approximately 20 minutes, until they are just cooked through. Add the rice to the pot with the split peas and continue cooking, uncovered, for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, the water should be nearly completely evaporated, and the split peas and rice should both be fully cooked. Set the pot aside until the split peas and rice are room temperature.
- Transfer the cooked split peas and rice to a large mixing bowl. Add the cooked onion and garlic. Add the cinnamon, turmeric, ground coriander, chili powder, sumac, salt, lime juice, parsley, and coriander, and stir to combine. Add the egg yolks, and stir to combine. Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 220° C. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Form “meatballs” that are a little larger than bite-size. You should be able to form about 20 “meatballs” in total. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, until they begin to crisp and caramelize around the edges.
- To serve run a little bit of pomegranate molasses over the top. Garnish with a little roughly chopped fresh herbs.