Ingredients1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small red onion, finely diced
pinch of sea salt
1 clove of garlic, finely sliced
500g cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup caster sugar
½ cup red wine vinegar
sea salt & freshly ground white pepper (to taste)
- Add the oil to a small saucepan and cook the onion with a pinch of sea salt over medium heat for about 5 minutes until the onions have softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, sea salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Turn the heat up to high and let the mixture come to a boil. Keep cooking at high heat for about 15-30 minutes until the mixture has thickened and looks jammy. The tomatoes will release some liquid and you will need to give the mixture some time for the liquid to evaporate.
- During this time, gently break down any tomatoes with a wooden spoon and stir the mixture from to time to prevent it from sticking to the pan and burning.
- Once the mixture has thickened, taste for seasoning. You may want to add some more sugar or more vinegar.
- Spoon the mixture into a sterilised jar, and leave it to cool completely before sealing. The mixture keeps well in the fridge for at least a couple of weeks.